Post Workout Foods and Why
1. Protein: Try to incorporate 20-40g of protein 30-60 min post workout. Fast digesting protein (isolate) or a whole food source like chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp, eggs etc. Some studies have shown that having protein powder post workout is beneficial because it takes away a lot of the digesting process of a whole food. Allowing your tired body to digest quickly can initiate faster recovery.
2. Carbs: Your body has used up almost all of its glycogen storage. Don’t just have protein post workout and forget about the carbs. Aim for a min of 30g of carbs 30-60m post workout. You can also use fast digesting carb powder like vitargo or karbolyn. Or you can use whole food sources like sweet potato, rice, quinoa, oats etc.
3. Fruit: People make the mistake of dismissing fruit post workout. Your body has just undergone a vigorous amount of stress during your workout. Don’t be afraid to replenish it with antioxidants. Allowing your PH levels to increase also allows your body to absorb protein and utilize carbs more efficiently. Fruit is a great way to spike insulin post workout for protein absorption. Try making a smoothing with strawberries, willd blueberries, bananas etc.
4. Cholesterol: Sounds crazy? Maybe, but there has been many great studies on how cholesterol is anabolic. Meaning it helps with building muscle. Cholesterol has been shown to aid in cell membrane viscosity which may contribute to cell membrane stability. The stability of our membrane allows our muscles to adapt to the stress of our workout more efficiently and intern, recover faster. I’d suggest getting a healthy source of cholesterol like the kind you get from whole eggs, shellfish or sardines. However, the majority of studies published were based on cholesterol from eggs. So try incorporating eggs post workout 3-4x a week and see if your recovery improves!
Most Important Take Away:
Your body is under high amount of stress post workout, its tired and hungry for nutrients to replenish itself with. Stick to clean protein sources and whole foods. This will ensure your body gets the nutrients its needs and won’t negatively impact your immune system like fast food would.
My Personal Favourite Combo:
- 30min post workout: Shake with protein powder, wild blueberries and coconut water
- 60min to 1.5 post workout: Egg with rice and spinach