Probiotics after Antibiotics and Its effect on Muscle Gains
If I eat yogurt do I still need to take a probiotic supplement?
- Yes, yogurt usually contains 1 billion active cells, and with only a few strains.
- Probiotic capsules can have 30-150 billion and many different strains.
- If you can digest dairy easily and don’t find it to be inflammatory, incorporating yogurt with probiotics can be a good addition.
- If you choose to add in yogurt, using kefir because it has 3x the amount of probiotics in regular yogurt. (see chart bellow)
- For people who have a hard time with yogurt, try adding in kimchi to your diet. It’s also a similar source of probiotics and is great in a stir fry.
- Eating yogurt, kimchi or fermented foods can still be done while you’re on probiotics. Its important to keep them at least 4hrs away from when you take the antibiotic. (this can be further discussed with your doctor based on your medication and dosage)
How do I know what type to buy for my issues?
|Post Antibiotics||lactobcillus +
|150 BILLION||Split into doses (75) 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening
25 Billion for during antibiotics, minimum of 4h away from when you take the antibiotic.
|Stay Healthy||lactobcillus +
|25-100 BILLION||Can split into morning and evening.|
|Bloated/ Constipated||lactobacillus acidophilus or
|75-100 BILLION||Take in the morning|
|50-75||Take in the morning or split into multiple small doses (3x a day)|
|Anxiety||lactobacillus plantarum and
|10 BILLION||Slowly go up each week until your at 30-50 Billion (maintenance)|
What you may not know about probiotics:
- Make sure to keep them refrigerated, heat can kill the living organism.
- Taking probiotics at night can keep some people awake. Keep this in mind, try taking half the dose at night on a weekend.
- Probiotics don’t stay in your stomach, however they can eventually flush out the bad bacteria. This is why taking probiotics both morning and evening is beneficial for constant replenishment of good bacteria.
- You can’t really take too much probiotics. If you do, you will most likely get bloated and poop it out. However, it wont be a comfortable experience.
Probiotics don’t work for me!
People forget that each persons microbiome is different. Which also means, we each need different strains and doses of different ones. What works for your partner may not work for you and vice versa. Try different brands to find the one that works best for you! Also, don’t be afraid to switch up your probiotics every couple of months, adding in new strains is good for repopulating your microbiome.
Its also important to remember that probiotics NEED prebiotics. Your body needs food for it to bind onto. Prebiotic foods are items such as asparagus, garlic, onions, bananas.
READ THE BOTTLE:
Some brands require you to take it with food and some don’t. If the probiotic is coated usually you can take it without food. The stomach is very acidic and needs either food or coating for it to not get broken down before it has time to do its job.
Having a healthy gut flora also impacts protein absorption. If your body can’t break down and absorb food properly then that means fewer muscle gains!!! Also a body that’s constantly in an inflammatory state due to an unhealthy gut flora, is more likely to store fat and be slower to recover between workouts.